Who We Are
The National Dental Foundation was founded in October
2004 by Mervin Saultry with the assistance of Freehills who provided pro
bono legal services.
The National Dental Foundation is an independent dental
industry initiated entity, acting as a focal point for charity work in the
Australian Dental Industry. The Foundation has received ATO Endorsement as a
Public Benevolent Institution and is a Registered Charity in all States.
A prime aim of the Foundation is to co-ordinate the
involvement of all parties who are involved in philanthropic organizational
work within the Australian Dental Industry. Historically the charity efforts
of dentists and others, whilst generous and effective, have been fragmented
and often duplicated as well-intentioned people go through a repeating steep
The Foundation acts as a coordinating and fund raising
body at Board level with actual delivery operations effected and directed by
State Advisory Committee Members under the direction of a NDF State
Chairman. Each State Chairman is a Director and a Board Member. They are
able to represent the needs and want of their respective states at executive
level and share their knowledge and experience.
The NDF was Incorporated on 14th October 2004 by Mervin Saultry with the assistance of the Legal Firm Freehills who were approached with a NDF concept plan and vision.
They assessed its merit and agreed to provide extensive pro bono services to get it established.
The NDF began its charity operations in February 2005 in Victoria when Mervin Saultry recruited Dr John Osbourne –Mornington as the Victorian State Chairman. John held three NDF charity days in 2005. Current Victorian Chairman is Dr Peter Waltham who took over the role in 2011
The next appointed State was WA under a committee led by Dr Dominic Farrone – they too held NDF charity days in 2005 – Later Dr Dennis Gregory accepted the challenge to lead WA
In 2006 Dr David Digges NSW who was already working with a charity caring for street kids and homeless people was approached and introduced to the NDF concept and invited to join the NDF as State Chairman for NSW and assist overcome the fragmentation of volunteer dental work so it could become efficient and attract resources for large scale charity work by dentists– he did and also progressed to become the NDF Chairman
Next on board was Dr Chris Hart who agreed to accept the role of Qld State Chairman and Board Chairman.
Following Chris was Dr Michael Ryan – ACT Chairman
Then came SA under the leadership of Dr Henry Gilkes and Dr Robert South.
Board Members and Directors are:
- Please contact Merv Saultry on 0414 836 296
DR DAVID DIGGES
- Graduated 1981 with a BDS at Sydney University.
- Worked in Newcastle and Hunter Valley regions in 1982.
- During 1983 worked in London for a year, this is where I met my wife.
- Came back to Sydney in 1984 to open my own practice in Bellevue Hill, and owned and operated a second practice in Coogee, up until 1994.
- 1994 to present owns and operates a private progressive family and cosmetic dental practice in Bellevue Hill, Sydney.
- Special interest in Cosmetic dental treatment and rehabilative crown and bridge work.
- I have always had a special interest in treating patients who cannot access dental care.
- Since early 2006 I have worked in conjunction with the National Dental Foundation, allowing underprivileged patients to access dental care both through my surgery and the NDF. Now close to 40 dentists around Sydney, NSW have contributed to this program, over half a million dollars of dental work has already been completed, and hundreds of patients have been treated through this program.
- Hopes to further raise awareness of the poor dental conditions for those who cannot afford complex dental treatment, to both improve their lot and to improve the attitude and contribution of both state and federal governments to this cause.
- Currently State Chairman of the NSW National Dental Foundation.
- Other interests include more voluntary work in East Timor which I have been involved in for a few years now.
- Served on committees such as North Bondi Surf Club, Eastern Suburbs Dental Group, member of many sporting clubs, currently a member of the Australian Dental Association, Australian Prosthodontic Society and the Pierre Fauchard Academy.
MR MERVIN SAULTRY
- Mervin had a 39 year career in Banking and
Finance with NAB before leaving to commence his own businesses of Management
Consultancy to emerging corporate businesses.,
- In 1997 Mervin established Dental Innovations a
National Commercial Network of Dentists who own and operate their own
practices. Over the past 11 years Dental Innovations has evolved into a
support entity for dentists offering over 50 different services.
- Mervin has been Managing Director of Dental Innovations
since its inception in 1997 and brings extensive dental business and
industry knowledge to the National Dental Foundation.
MR SIMON BAILEY-
2004 – current – Symphisis - Founding Partner - Established new on
delivering quantifiable ROI on marketing/advertising expenditure through
(a) clearly identified activators for buyer response,
(b) relevant impacts can be measured by client
(c) sales team can deliver 'the promise’ and
(d) comprehensive ROIcan be proven to Executive and Board
- Aug 2002 – current – Humanitech Pty Ltd - CEO -
Engaged to formulate startup strategy for entity owned by the Ability
Australia Foundation – to commercialise products and technologies in the
international Disability Solutions market
- Dec 2001 – current – Fulton Peak Pty Ltd Melbourne
Vic - Managing Director - Returned to operation of corporate & strategic
planning consultancy established in 1989
- Corporatised leading Technology Sector Investment
Bank, successfully developing procedures and evaluation tools to support
industry best practice. Led transition from boutique investment bank to
industry leadership status (Nextec Corporation).
- Integrated 14 diverse internet and film/media
production companies into one cohesive national unit, developed radical new
production protocols that restored profitability, analysed all merger and
acquisition targets over six months from national & international sources,
introduced production, legal & engagement protocols for web development.
(Sausage Software Limited).
- Successfully completed “retrofit corporatisation” for
International Franchise Group (retail), including all Public Company
accountability, communication & transparency requirements, stopped ongoing
growth in debtors and recouped 40% of funds within 6 months, changed image
sufficiently to give rise to rapid growth of franchise inquiries after
prolonged period during which virtually no interest was shown. Successfully
attracted investment from venture capitalists and managed to double the
share price (Cash Converters Ltd).
- Turned multiple hospitality organisations around by as
much as 800% in three months (same fixed overheads) during 1980’s and early
1990’s (as Manager/adviser).
- Built Chefs On The Run Australia (as CEO) from a zero
capital startup (1990) to $20M turnover in 2000, using chefs as managers and
creating national public awareness. (Retain 50% ownership and Chairman
- Restructured more local government operations in
Victoria than any other company/individual, with better than 90% success
rate on subsequent tender.
- Increased turnover of Boulevarde Nurseries wholesale
nursery by 800% in five years, taking from breakeven to 25% EBIT and
establishing market leadership, including several business awards (as
- 1983 – 1986: Australian National University
Canberra, ACT - Bachelor of Laws
Dr Christopher.P.Hart B.Sc., B.D.Sc(Hons), M.Phil.
- Chris graduated from the University of Queensland in 1998 with a Bachelor of Dental Science with Honours, and a Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry.
- He has studied at Cambridge University where he graduated with a Master of Philosophy in Biomedical Science in 1999.
- After finishing at Cambridge University he went on to work in the Channel Islands and then The Seychelles before returning to Brisbane.
- Chris is a graduate of the Las Vegas Institute of Neuromuscular and Aesthetic Dentistry, where he is continuing to train in this area through ongoing professional development and education.
DR PETER WALTHAM
- Graduated from Adelaide University in 1977
- I worked for a year in private practice in Adelaide, and then relocated to Cairns in North Queensland to work in government service at Cairns Base Hospital, where I eventually became the Dental Director. As well as administration of the Cairns clinic, I also supervised the provision of dental services to the surrounding Cape York and Gulf of Carpentaria regions, locally known as the Cairns Flying Dental Service.
- Relocating from the wild jungles of the tropical north back to Melbourne in 1983, I worked as a locum for 8 months in various private practices and also including the aboriginal dental service. After that I joined a private practice as an employee for the next six years.
- I started my own practice in Sandringham in 1987, which has since grown to its present size.
- I became interested in the idea of volunteering as a dentist several years ago, and eventually managed to find a way to become involved through a Rotary project that took me to Vietnam in 2009. This experience was very personally affirming, and I resolved to continue to offer myself as a dental volunteer, which eventually led me to the idea of doing so for the underprivileged sectors within our own environment, which in turn led me to becoming involved with the National Dental Foundation.
DR DENNIS GREGORY
- Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery training at Perth Dental Hospital and Royal Perth Hospital.
2 years in U.K. at various hospital jobs, returning to W.A. to enter private Oral/Maxillofacial surgery practice in 1981. Completed F.R.A.C.D.S. in 1982.
Has Public Hospital appointments at R.P.H., S.C.G.H. and Fremantle Hospitals, teaches Registrar Trainees in O.M.F.S. and continues
in full time O.M.F.S. practice.
Past Federal President A.N.Z.A.O.M.S.,1997-1998. Secretary R.A.C.D.S. (W.A.)1983-1986. Treasurer Federal A.O.S. 2003-2005
- B.D.Sc.(Uni W.A.)
- M.D.Sc.(Uni W.A.)
GILKES AND DR ROBERT SOUTH
- Each graduated from the University of Adelaide, is a
member of the Australian Dental Association and is registered with the SA
DR MICHAEL RYAN
State Advisory committees
|Dr Chris Hart
Dennis Gregory - Chairman
Dr Helen Voronina
||Dr David Digges - Chairman
||Dr Henry Gilkes